Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Different Kind of Brrrr

My previous post, Brrr, described the ice baths I took after a few workouts. This past weekend, we went swimming in the San Francisco Bay. It was cold, cold, cold.

We jumped into the water at Redwood Shores which is a lagoon attached to the San Francisco Bay. The water was cold, salty, and murky. I could barely see my hand while swimming.


View Larger Map


We wore our wetsuits for the first time. Unfortunately, it is difficult to find a picture of a man in a wetsuit that is "safe for work", so here is a cropped photo of me. In the picture, I am generously applying Body Glide to prevent the wetsuit from chafing me. Body Glide is incredible. It isn't goopy or messy, but it just works.

Note the BIG Team in Training logo on the wetsuit. When you fold down the top suit, there is another logo on the inside. The logo is upside down so it will be right side up when the suit is folded down. Someone thought that through!

Swimming with a wetsuit wasn't too bad. I definitely floated on top of the water easier, but it was difficult to tell if I was going faster (that's what everybody says a wetsuit does). I still struggle a bit with sighting, especially with the murky water. Got any tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment