Monday, February 23, 2009

Swimming with Paddles


I swam with paddles on my hands for the first time the other day. The paddles are just larger than my hand and hook onto my fingers with surgical tubing. They provide extra resistance in the water and make it easier to tell when your hand is in the right position to pull more water. Like fins, paddles made me feel like I was zooming through the water.

Until I took them off.

My arms, tired from the extra resistance, felt like chopsticks as they cut through the water. A similar situation you might be familiar with is jumping on a trampoline for 15 minutes and then jumping up and down on concrete. "Where have my superpowers gone?"

3 comments:

  1. so would you recommend training with paddles? if the goal is to not drown in lake san antonio, will training with paddles help towards this goal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a swim coach, but I think paddles are an intermediate to advanced thing. Probably better to focus on your body position first.

    ReplyDelete